This is a special from the Kashmiri cuisine. Bhasbhatta is Kashmiri Pulao. The main ingredients of this dish are long grained rice, split Bengal gram, Potatoes and whole spices. This rice preparation is generally savoured with curd, potato raita or pickle. For the weekend, we had few friends over for lunch and they preferred to have a vegetarian meal. So I had prepared the ‘Bhasbhatta’ accompanied with Hyderabadi bhindi, potato raita, papad and lime and date pickle.
- 1 ½ cup Long Grained Rice
- ½ cup Channa Dal (split Bengal gram)
- 4tbsp Oil
- 1 pinch Asafoetida
- ¼ tsp Cumin Seeds
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Cardamoms
- 3 Cinnamon sticks
- 8 Peppercorns
- 2 small Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Onion finely chopped
- 1tbsp Ginger paste or julienned
- 1 tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 3 medium size Potatoes
- 3 cups Water
- ¼ cup Coriander Leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash and soak separately the rice and channa dal in water for about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil and then add the asafoetida, cumin seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns and bay leaves. Stir and sauté till the aroma of the spices start to emanate.
- Add the onion, ginger paste and the drained channa dal.
- Fry uncovered on a low flame for about 5 minutes stirring continuously.
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and the potatoes..
- Fry in the same manner for about 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the drained rice, water and salt to taste.
- Pressure cook until tender but not over cooked.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve piping hot with raita, plain curd or pickle.
Standing Time: 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 35-40 minutes