About a month ago I had visited a Bengali family for dinner and one item on the menu that caught my attention was a dish called ‘Begun Basanti’. I was pretty amused by the name and though I did not delve into the origin of the name I definitely did delve into the recipe. In short it is eggplants/ brinjals cooked in mustard sauce (or kasundi as it’s called in Bengali). It’s very easy to make and I tried this out yesterday.
- 2 big eggplants
- 2 tbsp Bengali mustard sauce (kasundi)
- 2 tbsp curd
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- 1 pinch sugar
- Slice the eggplant either vertically into long pieces or horizontally into round pieces.
- In a pan, heat mustard oil, add the mustard seeds
- Once it splutters, add the sliced eggplants.
- Add the mustard sauce, add some water and allow it to cook for 5 minutes
- Add the curd, add some more water if required and cook the eggplants
- Add a pinch of sugar
- Serve hot with rice/chapattis
Preparation time: 15 minutes