Thoran (also called Poduthuval) is a traditional Kerala dish which can be made out of any vegetable of your choice cooked in a mixture of coconut and chilies. I’ve made the beans thoran and this is the only form of beans that I usually eat. The dish is simple at the same time unique in the sense that the original taste of the vegetable is retained without being overpowered by any masala. Serve it hot with sambar/rasam or plain dal to relish it to the fullest. Ingredients:
• ½ kg String Beans
• 1 cup Coconut (grated)
• 3 Green chilies
• 1 tsp Mustard seed
• 1 tsp Oil
• 1 pinch Turmeric powder
• 1 dried red chili
• 1 string Curry leaves
• Chop the beans finely.
• Grind coconut and green chilies together.
• In a pan, heat some oil, add mustard seeds
• Once it crackles, add curry leaves and the red chili
• Stir for a few seconds and add the chopped beans, salt and turmeric
• Add some water and cover the lid of the pan so that the beans cook.
• Once the beans are half cooked add the coconut paste and adjust salt
• Once again cover the pan and let the beans cook fully and absorb the flavor of the coconut
• Serve hot with rice
Preparation time: 20 minutes