This dish is a very easy and fast method of preparing the eggplant. The shallow fried eggplant, coated with the spice powders, gives it just the perfect reason, to relish it with rotis or rice. Though this dish does consume a little extra oil, I try to minimise as far as possible, by adding the same occasionally as and when required. For this preparation the brinjals should be thinly sliced. The big size brinjals or the fleshy ones are just the right ones for this preparation.
- 1 Large eggplant/Baigan/Brinjal(thinly sliced)
- 3/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mango powder(amchoor powder)
- 1 tsp whole spice powder/garam masala
- 3/4 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, mix together all the spice powders and salt.
- Add this to the Brinjal slices and toss gently so that the masalas coat the slices well.
- In pan heat oil, when hot, put in the Brinjal slices and shallow fry. Occasionally turn the slices over so that both the sides get cooked and browned well.
- Cook on medium flame till Brinjal is well cooked.
- Serve hot as side dish with rotis or rice.
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
Note: If required before serving, squeeze a few drops of lime juice over the Brinjal slices for a tangy taste.