Aviyal, a Kerala dish is a very nutritious vegetable stew in coconut gravy. The adage ‘the more the merrier’ holds true for this dish. You can add any vegetable to this dish ranging from ash gourd, pumpkin, raw banana, drumsticks, potatoes, string beans, snake gourd, carrots, and it becomes only tastier with every addition. Even if you don’t have all these vegetables it’s still fine, you can hardly go wrong with this dish, it’ll be as delicious by virtue of its simplicity. In my recipe I’ve added only ash gourd, pumpkin, and raw banana because these were the only vegetables available that day. All vegetables need to be sliced into thin 1 inch long pieces.
- 100 gm ash gourd (sliced into thin 1 inch long pieces)
- 100gm pumpkin (sliced into thin 1 inch long pieces)
- 100 gm raw banana (sliced into thin 1 inch long pieces)
- 1 string Curry leaves
- 50 gm coconut
- 3 green chilies
- 1 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch turmeric powder
- Put all the sliced vegetables in a pan, add some water, salt and turmeric and let it cook well.
- Grind the coconut and chilies into a paste
- After the vegetables are cooked, add the paste to it and bring it to a boil
- In a pan, put the oil and add curry leaves.
- Once it crackles add it to the preparation
- Serve it hot with rice
Preparation time: 30 minutes