There are many varieties of Koftas which I would be eventually posting on this space. Yesterday I tried Aloo Kofta, which is shallow/deep fried potato balls in gravy. To try out a healthier version of this recipe I shallow fried the potato balls instead of deep frying them. Also I’ve made the gravy a bit on the thicker side. One tip is to serve the gravy over the koftas or else if you let the koftas soak in the gravy they’ll drain off the entire gravy like a vacuum cleaner!!
- 5 boiled potatoes
- 2 slices of bread
- 2 onions
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies
- 2 tsp of grated coconut
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 handful of coriander leaves
- 1 ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Wet the slices of bread of a second, squeeze all the water and keep it aside
- In a bowl, mash the boiled potatoes with bread, salt, chili powder and cumin powder.
- Make equal balls of this mixture, flatten it and shallow fry till both sides are crisp and brown
- Grind the tomatoes, 1 onion and green chilies and keep it aside.
- In another pan, fry the other chopped onion, add the tomato-onion paste and grated coconut
- Add salt, turmeric, cumin, coriander and garam masala powders, 1 cup water and bring to a boil
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Serve the gravy over the koftas while serving
Preparation time: ½ hr