This is another Sindhi recipe picked up from my school friend’s lunch box. It has a wonderful aroma, is delicately spiced, and yet tastes awesome. Like most other Sindhi recipes, it’s served with Pappad and raita. Ideally basmati rice should be used for this recipe, but I’ve tried it with non-basmati and it tasted just as good though it looks a little less elegant!! A simple and easy to make recipe, ideal for lunch boxes too!!Ingredients:
• 1 cup Rice (preferably long grain)
• 1 Onion, peeled and chopped
• ½ Tomato chopped
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 2 Bay leaves
• 2 Cardamom pods
• 1 small piece of Cinnamon
• 2 Cloves
• One pinch- Turmeric powder
• ½ tsp – Red Chili powder
• 1 tbsp of Ghee/oil
• Salt to taste
• Cook the rice with salt and keep it aside
• In a pan heat ghee/oil, add cumin, bay leaves, cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon stick. Stir for 15 seconds.
• Add chopped onion. Fry till golden brown.
• Add tomato, salt, turmeric & chili powder and fry till the tomato cooks.
• When this is ready, add the cooked rice and stir well on a low flame till the rice absorbs the flavors. Adjust salt if required.
• Serve hot with raita/ pappad or Sai Bhaji.
Preparation time: 20 minutes