- Sona Masoori r ice – 6 cups (uncooked)
- Tamarind (Puli) – 36 one inch pieces (or 2 lemons sized of tamarind)
- Water-1cup for soaking the tamarind
- Green chillies – 15 no.s (make small slits)
- Curry leaves – 1 bunch
- Red chillies – 5 no.s
- Mustard seeds – 2 tbsp
- Ginger – 1½ piece (Finely minced)
- Turmeric powd er – 1 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – 6 1/2 tsp
- Ground nuts (Nelakadala) – 1/2 cup(roasted)
- Bengal gram (Kadalaparippu) – 1/2 cup
- Black gram (Uz hunnuparippu) – 1/4 cup
- Cashews – 1/8 cup
- Oil – 1 1/4 cups
- Cumin seeds (Jeerakam) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida(Kayam) – 1 pinch(optional)
- Soak Bengal gram in water for 30 mins.
- Mix this soaked dal with washed and drained rice.
- Pressure cook it with 12 cups of water.
- Rinse the tamarind and soak it in 1 cup of water for 30 mins or microwave it for 7 mins with 1 cup of water.(total extract will measure to 1.5cup).
- Extract the pulp of it and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add Bengal gram, black gram and 1 tbsp of mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter, add roasted groundnuts and cashews and sauté for a while.
- Add cumin seeds, ginger, green chillies, red chillies and curry leaves and saute for a while.
- Add the tamarind pulp and sauté for another 2 mins.
- Cover and cook for 8 mins on medium flame, until the oil separates.
- Add sugar, salt and turmeric and switch off the stove.
- Grind together 1 tbsp of mustard seeds, 1 red chilly and asafoetida(optional) and keep aside.
- Mix together the pressure cook dal-rice mixture with the sautéed masala.
- Add the ground mixture to the above and mix well.
- Rice should not be sticky. Adjust the water as per your rice quality. Sometimes, rice may need little/more water for cooking. For better results, add few drops of lemon juice or oil to the rice while cooking.
- Add as much curry leaves for better flavour.
- This can be stored in a refrigerator for 1 week.
- I use exact measures of the ingredients as mentioned above every time. Please adjust the chillies and salt as per your taste.
- Pulihora recipe is ready.
Recipe Contributed by: