Just the right treat, for a sweet tooth! The dish ‘sweet potato in grated coconut’ as the name suggests tastes sweet; this unlike desserts can be savoured as a breakfast or evening tiffin/snack. The sweet potato fills me, with the nostalgic memories of childhood. As kids, this was our favourite evening snack, when we visited my grandma’s place. The fresh and tasty sweet potatoes grown in my grandmother’s vegetable garden were used to make this delicious dish.
The grated coconut and sprinkled sugar, adds to the sweetness of the sweet potato. When I prepared it this time, I added a few cumin seeds to it, which gave it a personal touch. This dish is very easy to prepare. The nutritious root vegetable – sweet potato is rich in complex carbohydrates, dietary fibre, beta carotene (a vitamin A equivalent nutrient), vitamin C and vitamin B6.
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1tsp sugar
- 2tbsp grated coconut
- 1tsp cumin seeds (optional-roast the cumin seeds)
- Cut into quarters (if large) and steam the sweet potatoes( the fleshy part of the sweet potato turns yellowish, when cooked).
- Peel when cool and gently crumble.
- Add cumin seeds and grated coconut. Gently mix, ensure not to mash the sweet potatoes.
- Top it with sugar and a little grated coconut.
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Note : The sweet potato is only distantly related to the potato family. It is generally confused with the vegetable “Yam”, although it is very distinct from the same.