This morning I couldn’t help but recollect a quote from the Holy Bible ‘A happy heart makes the face cheerful’, as I watched the cheerful smiles my daughter spread on our faces during the family meal-time, at the table. She was happy to see the colourful idlis and the innocence in a child’s happiness over a simple thing like a unique dish made me realise how we could find happiness in little things! Enjoy a family meal over love and smiles…
- 4 cups semolina/sooji/rava
- ½ tsp channa dal
- ½ tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- Whipped curd 4 cups
- A few curry leaves
- 1 cup grated carrots
- A few cashew nuts broken into small pieces
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds. Then add the urad dal, channa dal, cashew nuts and curry leaves. Sauté and add rava/semolina and roast till it becomes golden brown.
- In a bowl mix to one cup of semolina one cup of curd and gradually mix well so that no lumps are formed. Keep this aside for about 15 minutes.
- The grated carrot can either be mixed with the batter before pouring it on the cups of the idli stand, or after pouring this mixture on to the cups of the idli stand sprinkle grated carrots and prepare the idlis as per the recipe for Idlis in my post “Idlis”.
- Serve hot with sambar or chutney.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Standing Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time for each set of idlis: 10-15 minutes
Each set makes: 12 idlis