Lemon sevai is one those options when for when you prefer a quick and tasty make for a light meal. The seasoning is simple, tangy and tasty. The groundnuts and cashew nuts thrown in gave this tiffin a crunchy taste. For those who want to avoid the green chilly pungent flavour can use whole red chillies. Prepare this for your kids to take to school or for an even light evening snack when they come tired.
- 1 cup semiya
- Water 3 cup
- 1 small potato cut into medium sized strips
- 1 small onion (optional)
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp urad dal/split black gram
- ½ tsp channa dal/Bengal gram
- A few cashew nuts
- A few curry leaves
- 2-3 Chopped green chillies
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves
- A few roasted ground nuts
Method for cooking the sevai:
- Boil water, add the semiya/sevai and stir well immediately.
- Cook on medium heat for about 6-7 minutes with occasional stirring.
- Drain the water completely and keep aside for 2 minutes.
For the seasoning:
- Heat oil in pan and add the mustard seeds, and let it splutter. Then add the urad dal and channa dal. When they turn little golden add the green chillies and curry leaves.
- Then add the onions and sauté till onion is pinkish.
- Add the potato strips and salt. Let it cook for few minutes.
- Tip in the turmeric powder, ground nuts and lemon juice.
- Then add the semiya and mix well.
- Garnish with cashew nuts and coriander leaves.
Preparation Time: 25-30 minutes