Dosas with rice batter is a regular make at home, but I wanted to try something different. So ‘Dal Dosa’ it shall be for breakfast today, I thought. The recipe turned out good, just ensure that the consistency of the batter should be right; and of course I love making dosas. So if you have the patience to stand and make those tasty numerous dosas then go for it!
Time taken: 45 min
Standing time: 8-10 h
- Toor dal: 250 g
- Coconut (grated): 1/2 cup
- Green chillies: 3-4
- Ginger paste: 1 tsp
- Fenugreek leaves/methi (finely chopped): 1 cup (optional; use if available)
- A few curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida (a pinch)
- Soak the toor dal in water for about 8-10 h before preparation. Remove water afterwards.
- Add chillies, ginger paste, salt and asafoetida. Now, grind the mixture in mixer until it becomes a fine paste.
- Now, add the grated coconut and finely chopped curry leaves / methi leaves to the fine paste and mix well with required quantity of water to make a batter similar to dosa batter consistency.
- Now heat the tawa and pour batter over, like in dosa preparation. Drizzle oil along the sides of the dosa. When cooked on one side, turn the dosa over to cook on other side.
- Delicious Dal dosa is ready to eat. Serve hot with coconut / pudina chutney or Idli podi and ghee.