Bread and potatoes is one of the most popular and versatile combinations. There could be a hundred recipes with these two ingredients. I added one more recipe to my recipe world when I learnt this delicious dish from my Mother-in –law. She had made it for breakfast and it surprisingly took very little time to prepare it. Each bite begins with the crunch of the crisp bread bottom and proceeds to a cheese and potato flavor. Yumm!!!
- 4 Slices of bread
- 2 Medium sized potatoes (boiled and mashed)
- 1 tbsp of peas (optional)
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2 slices of cheese
- 1 small green chili (chopped)
- 1 string of Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2- 3 tbsp of oil
- 2-3 tsp of all purpose flour
- 2-3 tbsp of water
- Cut each slice of bread into 2 halves.
- Apply some butter on each half and keep it aside
- In a bowl mix the mashed potatoes with peas, coriander leaves, salt, and chili
- Cut each cheese slice into 2 pieces
- Place a half cheese slice on a piece of buttered bread
- Place the mixture of mashed potatoes on top of the cheese and flatten it.
- Make a paste (of glue consistency) of the all purpose flour and water
- Apply a thin layer of this paste on the spread of potatoes
- Heat a pan with 1-2 tbsp of oil and keep it on medium flame.
- Place the bread slices on it, the stuffing side facing downwards
- Flip it the other side when it becomes golden brown
- When both sides are golden brown, take it off the heat and serve hot with ketchup
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Makes 4 pieces