This tasty and smooth peanut butter spread, has always been on the menu of my ‘picnic snack items’ or even as a spread for sandwiches during tea-time. At times I just relish it, like a dessert, after a spicy meal. My mum learnt this recipe from her mother and now I feel good to carry on the tradition! The satisfaction and joy, when I see my 3 year old smacking her lips, relishing the peanut butter, is an amazing feeling. This all time favourite spread is well loved and savoured by all in my family. Enjoy the nutritious, flavoured and tasty peanut butter!!
- 1 cup of peanuts (Roasted unsalted peanuts).
- 1 teaspoon oil (you can use peanut oil or any other vegetable oil that doesn’t have a strong fragrance).
- Very little salt, just little more than a pinch of it is enough (if using salted peanuts omit the salt).
- 1 tsp sugar (optional).
- If making the peanut butter for the first time, use peanuts which are already roasted and shelled. Leave the red skin on the peanuts if you prefer the taste that way.
- Put peanuts in the food processor/blender. Add oil, sugar (optional) and salt. Blend and for a minute or so.
- Some like the butter in a smooth texture, in which case grind it longer till smooth; while some prefer it crunchy. For a crunchy taste, grind for short span of time or add small bits of chopped peanuts after blending.
- If butter seems too thick add little more oil to it.
- Your home-made peanut butter is ready to savour.
- Store it in an air-tight container and refrigerate.
- Serve with French toast, rotis, as a spread for sandwiches etc…
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Makes: About 1 ½ cup
Note: Homemade peanut butter should be refrigerated in tightly-sealed containers and ideally used within a couple of weeks. Turn the container upside-down occasionally to help redistribute the oils.
…Did you know??
October is Peanut Butter Lover’s Month!