Malanga fritters or Yam fritters or frituras de malanga is a very famous Cuban delicacy that’s mostly used as a snack. Unlike fries, Fritters lose its crispness quite fast and hence it’s best served immediately. Malanga or Yam is very closely related to taro root and good news is, Yam is not only available in the Caribbean but also in India. So, while it pours outside, dig deep into these crispy fried fritters that’ll make you go oo-la-la, the Caribbean way!
- Raw malangas/yams: 3
- Eggs: 2
- Parsley: 2 springs, finely chopped
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves, mashed
- vegetable oil: 5-6 tbsp (for deep frying)
- Salt and pepper: to taste
- Peel the yams completely and grate them coarsely. Beat egg, add all the dry ingredients to it. Gradually beat in the yams and stir to form a thick paste. Refrigerate for an hour before frying.
- In a thick bottomed pan, add oil and let it smoke. Form small balls in the palm of your hand and drop in the hot oil. Fry till golden brown and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with Guacamole.