When in school, after repeated protests against boiled eggs for breakfast my Mother whipped up this delicious and easy to make toast made from bread and eggs- French toast. One thing to know about French toast is that it originated not in France but from Rome. So it isn’t French though many parts of the world have their own variations of the recipe now. When in a restaurant in France don’t look for French toast in the menu, because the French refer to it as “pain perdu.” Here is the classic French toast recipe.
Classic French Toast
Time taken: 10 min
- Bread: 4 slices
- Eggs: 2
- Milk: 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon powder: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 2 tsp
- Butter: 1 tbsp
- In a bowl, beat the eggs lightly.
- Add milk, cinnamon, butter and sugar
- Heat a pan on medium flame.
- Briefly dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture till both sides are soaked.
- Place the bread slice in the pan over medium heat until lightly browned, turning once. This should take approximately 3-4 min per side.
- Serve hot with powdered sugar/strawberries/chocolate syrup, and nuts.