Having learnt the benefits of ‘Papaya’ not just as a fruit but also as a vegetable, this recipe has become a part of my regular cooking. The grated papaya gives a graceful and inviting look to the dish. This dish whenever prepared at home is relished and savoured by all of us. For those of you who are particular about ‘calories in a dish’ – can avoid the grated coconut and add the roasted and then coarsely ground peanut powder. Peanuts when cooked or fried in oil add to the calorie content, hence dry roast them. As you can observe, the grated coconut or peanut powder is added only towards the end, when the dish is done. This ensures that the ingredient is cooked in the available steam and hence over-cooking is avoided.
I recommend this healthy and nutritious dish to all those who love healthy food and healthy living!
-Recipe for the raw papaya subzi…
- ½ kg raw papaya
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 onion finely sliced
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green chilli- slit
- ¼ cup grated coconut or 2 tsp roasted and coarsely powdered groundnuts
- A few curry leaves
- Finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- De-skin and grate the raw papaya.
- In a pan, heat little oil – add mustard seeds and curry leaves, when it splutters add sliced onion, green chillies and salt to taste.
- When the colour of the onion turns pinkish, add the raw papaya and stir. Close with a lid for 3 minutes.
- Now add the grated coconut or the groundnut powder. Cover with a lid and put off the flame.
- Garnish with corriander leaves.
- Serve the raw papaya subzi as a side dish with rotis or rice.
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes