‘Breakfast’, the nutritionists say is the most important meal of the day. I guess all moms out there with school going children, will agree with me that it is indeed a task to get the kids to have their breakfast before they leave for school. The breakfast has to be healthy, tasty and easy to eat and most of all the important part of it is ‘they have to like it’. We all take efforts to give them the best and meet their demands.
Today, I wish to share one of the health recipes from my breakfast booklet. Ragi (Finger millet) also known as Nachini contains high calcium, B-complex and also good fibre content. For growing children this is a very good source of calcium, I used only such home made porridges for my baby from the time I started the ‘weaning’. Even now at the age of four, I ensure that she has a healthy porridge meal. Infact, I insist on having this porridge atleast once a week for the rest of my family too .
With all that junk food going into our system the body needs some nutrition to do the balancing act and as for the elderly or aged people this is a good calcium supplement, easily absorbed into the system. This millet can be consumed in various ways viz., ragi adai/dosa, ragi soup, ragi idli, ragi rotis etc..,
Enjoy a healthy and tasty breakfast with your family!
- 2 tbsp Lapsi (Broken wheat/Daliya/cracked wheat)
- 1 tsp Rava ( Sooji/ Semolina)
- 1 tsp Soya powder ( Dill )
- 2 tbsp Ragi powder ( finger millet powder)
- 1 cup water( for soaking)
- 4 cups milk
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Jaggery to taste ( if not available substitute with either honey or date syrup )
- In a deep vessel, soak in water lapsi, rava (semolina), soya powder and ragi (finger millet) powder and mix well to avoid any lumps being formed. Keep aside for 5-7 minutes.
- Place this vessel on the fire initially on high flame, stirring continuously add the rest of the ingredients except jaggery.
- After it comes to a boil, lower the flame and keep stirring till the lapsi is well cooked.
- If the consistency thickens beyond desire then more milk can be added.
- Remove from heat and add jaggery or honey or date syrup.
Preparation Time : 15minutes
Serves : 2