Poha is one recipe that is common on the Indian breakfast table. There may be slight variations to the recipe from region to region. It’s a breakfast that easy to make, healthy and filling. Having been brought up in a metropolis, I’ve tasted most variations of the dish and I make my own which has a little of all. So here it is.
- 2 cups Poha (Beaten Rice)
- 1 Potatoes/1 Onions (either one of them or both)
- 2 Green Chilies
- 1 tsp Chana dal
- 1 tsp Urad dal
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 tsp Peanuts
- 4 tblsp Oil
- ¼ cup green peas (optional)
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder
- 1 Lemon (optional)
- Few Coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Wash the poha and soak it in water for a minute. Drain all the water.
- Add some salt, turmeric powder, and keep it aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, peanuts, chilies and curry leaves and fry until they splutter.
- Add onions, sauté for a few minutes, and then add chopped potatoes and peas.
- Cook till they are done. Add the poha, coriander leaves and stir.
- Keep it on slow flame for 5- 7 minutes.
- After taking it off the gas, squeeze some lemon juice into it and serve hot
Preparation time: 15 minutes