The coarsely chopped cottage cheese tossed in masala, gives this dish the appearance and flavour of that kheema dish, you would like to indulge in. The ground masala with onion, garlic and poppy seeds sautéed in spices coats the paneer kheema with a special taste. As for the eggs, used to garnish the dish, they add a special feature to this recipe. I skipped the eggs in my meal that day, so serve it the way you like it!
- 400-500 gm cottage cheese/paneer
- 2 small onions
- 2 medium tomatoes
- a few mint leaves and coriander leaves
- ½ tsp garam masala (spare a little for the garnishing)
- ½ tsp of cumin powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 2 green chillies minced (add as per spice required)
- 3 flakes of garlic
- 1 tsp of poppy seeds
- 1tsp of dried mango powder
- ½ tsp of crushed pomegranate seeds(optional)
- 1 hard boiled egg shelled and cut into thin rings(for garnishing)
- Salt to taste
- Fry the paneer lightly and chop coarsely.
- Grind together onion, garlic and poppy seeds.
- Heat oil and fry the ground paste to a golden brown colour.
- Put in the spices and fry briefly.
- Add tomatoes and cook till the oil separates. Put in paneer pieces, coriander, mint and chillies. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from fire and put in a serving dish.
- Cover with rings of egg and sprinkle on top the garam masala before serving.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes