Chutneys and dips are my favourite part of cooking, they are easy and yummy. This turned out to be last minute instant chutney, as I ran out of onions for my carrot salad. Lucky for me the grated carrots fit in well for the chutney recipe. Want to know what I saved it for …Yes! Another one of my favourites ‘Dosas’ , this time it was soya bean dosas dipped in carrot chutney for breakfast, too good!(Coming up soon, Soya bean dosa recipe)
- ¼ cup freshly grated coconut
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp split black gram (urad dal)
- 2 tbsp Bengal gram (chana dal)
- 3 red chillies
- 2 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp coarsely ground groundnut powder
- A piece of tamarind (size of a grape)
- ¼ tsp hing/asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- A few curry leaves
- 2 whole red chillies(broken into four)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds(optional)
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- Heat the oil in a pan and sauté lentils (urad dal and chana dal), over medium heat, until they turn golden.
- Add red chillies and asafoetida and stir. Ensure that asafoetida does not burn. Take pan off the heat and add curry leaves, allow it to wilt slightly in the heat of the pan.
- Allow this to cool a bit and grind this with all the other ingredients, adding just enough water, into a smooth chutney/paste.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When they splutter, put in urad dal and when it starts to slightly turn brown add the curry leaves and red chillies.
- The carrot chutney is ready to be savoured with rice/dosas/rotis.
Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes