Bitter–gourd if not bitter is not the vegetable –that is what I believe. Yet it is difficult to get the family savour the taste. When at my wits end this is what I ended up with ‘Bitter-gourd vegetable mix’. While mixing in a few of the other vegetables along with bitter gourd, care must be taken to blend the taste well. The vegetables cooking in its own water content not only enhances the nutrition but the flavour too.
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 bitter-gourds grated
- ½ cup shelled green peas (par-cooked)
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 -2 green chilli slit
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds for seasoning
- Oil for seasoning
- Slice finely 2 onions from the spring onions and cut finely the rest of the spring onion stalk.
- Tip the onions, the spring onion green-stalk, carrot, bitter gourd, peas, green chilli, turmeric and salt to taste into a thick bottomed pan.
- Mix all the ingredients together and heat it covered with a lid over low flame. Add a little water only if required.
- Stir the contents to check if well cooked.
- Add the coconut and season with the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes