‘Aloo Potol’ is a traditional Bengali recipe. ‘Aloo’ here refers to potato and ‘Potol’ refers to parwal/pointed gourd. The aloo-potol combination is well matched and hence combined in this tasty dish. This is a speciality dish which all Bengali’s love. The method in which it is prepared definitely varies in every recipe. Some recipes include gram flour and peanuts in the ingredients. Since this is a dry preparation I have prepared it this way.
- 4-5 potol/pointed gourd/parwal (cut in medium size chunks)
- 3-4 medium sized aloo/potato (cut into medium size pieces)
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp Amchoor powder
- Salt to taste
- In a pan heat oil and add the potatoes, potol, salt and all the spice powders. Sauté well for few mins.
- Simmer on low heat by covering the pan. Stir occasionally in intervals till almost done.
- Remove lid and fry on medium heat to get a dry and fried taste of this dish.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes