Welcome to yet another fantastic, easy, 15 minute dinner recipe: specially crafted for your Valentines Day. We’ll have to tell you a wee story about how this recipe came along. So, me and the husband kept shuffling for things to eat on a hot Friday night – the idea was to have a quiet dinner in our living room and something that takes 15 minute or less for he wants me to watch a movie with him. The husband gets really irritated if I am in the kitchen for more than 20 min. “You are missing the movie”, “What are you doing in there?”, “We should fix you in the kitchen somewhere”, etc., happens. That also triggered a question: What is more important to you? Getting good food on the table or quality time with your loved ones? Well, the main reason behind “having dinner together” is togetherness and often not the food. What do you do if your Valentine wants you to be with him on the day and you have just 15 min to fix a table? You make a quick-fix meal!
Herbed Chicken, Steamed Rice and Tossed Veggies
- Chicken pieces (with or without bone): 500 g
- Cooked rice: 1 cup
- Butter: 2 tbsp
- Chili flakes: 1 tsp
- Provencial herbs (or dried herbs): 2 tbsp
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Veggies (chopped): 1 cup
- Start with chicken.
- In a bowl, mix chili flakes, herbs, 1 tbsp oil, salt and pepper. Throw in the chicken pieces and give it a stir.
- In a non-stick pan, heat about 1/2 tsp of oil. With a spoon, drop chicken in the oil and let them turn golden. Keep aside.
- In the same oil, stir-in the veggies. I used zucchini, bell peppers, capsicum and carrots, and fry till al dente. Sprinkle salt and pepper and keep aside.
- Heat butter in the same pan, take away 2 tsp from the mix and stir-in the rice.
- Turn off the heat and let the herbed butter flavor the rice. It shouldn’t cook/fry the rice.