A good way to tackle the onam lunch, this dish is particularly healthy as it uses raw banana as one of its main ingredient which is exceptional as water absorbent and ranks quite high in fiber content. Easy on the stomach and good to taste, banana Thoran is a delicious preparation that comes from the South India Belly: Thoran is a basically a method and not particularly a dish, which one can cook with various vegetables- include cabbage to raw bananas and mixed vegetables!
Anyhow, with our banana Thoran what will you expect? Coconut of course, what were you thinking. We’ll let you guess the splutters!
- 6 raw bananas cut into thin strips (approximately 1 ½ inch long)
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 green chillies slit
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- oil for seasoning
- ½ tsp mustard seeds for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- In a thick-bottomed pan, cook the raw bananas, onion, green chillies, with turmeric and salt in sufficient water. (Do not add too much water as it will get soggy)
- Top it with coconut and close with the lid when done.
- Take it off the flame and season with curry leaves and mustard.
- Gently toss the contents to mix well and serve.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes