Goan culture is famous for its delicious and mouthwatering seafood. The culture boasts a unique cooking style found nowhere else in India. This cooking style is a mixture of eastern and western cultures. Goa was under Portuguese rule for almost two centuries and the food here is an improved and spiced up version of European food culture.Goa is home to many beaches and a beautiful coastline. Fishing and tourism are the two dominant sectors in this part of India. Goan food is considered as the most diversified Indian cuisine. Goa has adopted and accepted a number of Indian flavours to develop a unique style of preparing sea food. The South Indian and Mughlai flavors makes Goan food rich and a delight for foodie all over.
In this article, we will look at one of the most auspicious goan dishes of all time. The technique and ingredients of this curry have been passed on from generations to generations.
For preparing Goa shrimp curry, you will need following ingredients :
- 1 ½ table spoon vegetable oil
- ½ tea spoon cloves
- 8 cardamom pods
- a cinnamon stick (preferable 2 inches)
- 1 table spoon mustard seeds
- 2 table spoon of ginger garlic paste
- 1 finely sliced onion
- 1 tea spoon pepper (Cayenne)
- ½ cup tomato sauce (Puree)
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 2 cups of water
- salt as per requirement
- 1 ½ pounds peeled and de-veined medium shrimp
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbs coconut flakes
Method for preparation :
- Use a large skillet to heat vegetable oil and add cloves, mustard seeds, bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Cook the spices in the oil, but make sure to stir it constantly until it is toasted.
- Stir it for about 2 mins and add ginger garlic paste to the spices.
- Fry the mixture for another minute.
- Now, add onion and cook it until it turns light brown.
- After your onions are well cooked and are light brown, add cayenne pepper, curry powder and cook it for another 2 minutes.
- Add tomato puree/sauce and coconut milk to the mixture. Cook it until oil separates from the sauce.
- Add salt and water.
- Bring the prepared mixture to boil and cook it on a low flame until it becomes a little think and sauce like.
- Once the mixture gets required consistency, add shrimp and cover it for about 5 minutes.
- Check if the shrimps are cooked, add lemon juice.
- Transfer it hot to a serving dish and garnish with coconut flakes.