“Meatballs are fantastic! They’re perfect like this, with a one-minute homemade tomato sauce and spaghetti”. Well, this what celebrity chef Jamie Oliver has to say about Spaghetti Meatballs. We guess, we’ll just zip it and eat it as this is such a dish against which no voice has been raised by far. Plus, the Spaghetti meatballs recipe comes from his very own kitchen: so don’t complain ever!
In a tangy tomato sauce, the Spaghetti with meatballs taste as good as it sounds. In fact, this is also our Hancock’s favorite! Remember when Charlize Theron spots him making spaghetti with meatballs? Yes? Good. So, go make this a tradition, make it into a fixed weeknight chow, make it a Saturday night TV dinner. An easy spaghetti meatballs recipe can never disappoint you.
Oh and yes, you can also slurp these meatballs up with polenta or freshly baked bread, instead of spaghetti. Take a look.
Spaghetti with Meatballs
- Fresh rosemary: 4 sprigs
- Jacob’s cream crackers: 12
- Dijon mustard: 2 heaped teaspoons
- Good-quality minced beef, pork, or a mixture of the two: 500 g
- Dried oregano: 1 heaped tablespoon
- Egg: 1 large
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper: according to taste
- Olive oil
- A bunch of fresh basil
- Onion: 1 medium
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Dried red chilli: 1
- Chopped tomatoes: 2 x 400 g tins
- Balsamic vinegar: 2 tbsp
- Dried spaghetti or penne: 400 g
- Parmesan cheese, for grating
- Finely chop rosemary leaves and smash the crackers in a teatowel or poly bag until fine.
- Add it to a mixing bowl and add mustard, minced meat, rosemary and dried oregano. Give it a dash of salt and pepper.
- Now, mix them well with your hands, divide into 20 small balls, drizzle with olive oil and set aside until needed.
- Put a large pan of salted water and cook your pasta.
- In a large wok or a fry pan, heat about two lugs of olive oil.
- Pick the basil and keep ready. Finely chop onion and garlic and keep aside. When the oil is hot, pour onion and fry until light brown.
- Now add garlic, followed by basil leaves. Stir for a minute and add tomatoes and balsamic vinegar.
- Let this cook for about 15 min in sim till it becomes a puree.
- Boil and season to taste.
- In another frying pan pour two lugs of olive oil and fry your meatballs. They should be fried golden, without cracks. Cracks will bloat up while in the sauce and will break.
- To assemble, put some pasta in a bowl. Arrange two or three meatballs in each serving and ladle a generous amount of tomato sauce.
- Serve warm with basil and grated parmesan.