Let a foodie enter the Chinese world of cooking, and the exploring never endsâ€¦With their basic ingredients being generally the same for most of their sauce based dishes, this cuisine still offers delicious delicacies. The sesame chicken recipe is one of my favorites. Just take one bite into the crispy fried chicken, coated with sesame seeds bathed in the sweet â€˜n spicy sauce, and there is a new world of taste which explodes on your taste buds. Yumm… ‘sesame chicken’!
– 3 whole boneless chicken breasts
– 2 tbsp light soya sauce
– 1 tbsp cooking wine (optional)
– A few drops of sesame oil
– 2 tbsp flour
– 2 tbsp corn flour
– 2 tbsp water
– 1/4 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp oil
Sauce for Sesame Chicken:
– 1/2 cup water
– 1 cup chicken broth
– 1/8 cup vinegar (If a sweeter sauce preferred then use less vinegar)
– 1/4 cup corn flour
– 1 cup sugar
– 2 tbsp dark soya sauce
– 2 tbsp sesame oil
– 1 tsp chilli paste, or more if desired
– 1 clove garlic (minced)
– 2-3 spring onions/scallion (the bulb sliced round and the stalk chopped)
– 2 green bell peppers/capsicum
– 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
– 3 1/2 – 4 cups peanut oil for deep-frying
How to make :
– Cut the chicken into about 1-inch cubes. Mix the marinade ingredients and marinate the chicken for 20 minutes.
-To prepare the sauce: Heat oil in pan and tip in the onion, green stalk and capsicum. Toss in oil till well coated and then mix together all of the sauce ingredients. Tip them in and bring to a boil, stirring continuously. Turn the heat down to low and keep warm while you are deep-frying the chicken.
-To deep-fry the chicken: add the marinated chicken pieces a few at a time, and deep-fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with the remainder of the chicken.
-Just before you are finished deep-frying, bring the sauce back up to a boil.
-Place the chicken on a large platter and pour the sauce over (left over sauce can be heated lightly and gradually added as and when required). Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
-Serve the Sesame Chicken with steamed white rice.
Prep Time:PT 25 Minutes
Cook Time:PT 20 Minutes
Total Time:PT 45 Minutes