What are we cooking today: Roasted duck or Peking Duck
What is Peking Duck? Roasted Duck or Peking Duck is typical to Beijing , the capital of China and is a lavish dish that’s traditionally served with Mandarin pancakes, and green scallops for brushing Hoisin sauce.
Is it easy to cook? Yes. Peking Duck Recipe is indeed a very easy duck recipe that involves on 1 hour and 40 minutes approximately.
But, wait before you start. Roasted Duck before cooking and serving would have to wait as before 1 hour of cooking time lies a 4 fat hour of drying-the-duck time! Oh yes. Although an easy recipe to follow, the time involved in cooking roast duck is massive.
But of course, you know what they tell about good cooking right? No matter what, at the end of the day, a good meal cooked is worth all the efforts.
Here we go. We will start with drying the duck –
- You can get a cleaned duck in any good poultry shop but you can also get it cut and cleaned by the local meat shop.
- If you live in a naturally cool, windy place, then drying the duck for you will be a very easy process. But for those of you living in a humid place, air the duck in an unheated room with a fan blowing.
Dry your duck at least for 4 hours.
Now on to the Peking Duck Recipe
- One 5 to 6 pound duck
- 8 cups water
- 1 slice ginger
- 1 scallion, cut into halves
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- After your duck has been air dried, fill a large wok with water.
- And while it boils, add ginger, scallion, honey, vinegar, and sherry.
- Boil this for about 7-8 minutes before pouring the dissolved cornstarch.
- On a large strainer, place duck, and rest it over a large bowl. Ideally, you’ll have to assemble a set up like a colander.
- Now, scoop the boiling soup and pour it all over the duck. Repeat for 10 minutes to 15 minutes.
- Hang your duck in a cool dry place again for 6 hours.
- After 6 hours, place your duck on a greased rack and broil it with a pan filled with water underneath the grill.
- The oven preheat is 350 degrees.
- Roast for 30 + 30 minutes or until the skin is crispy and golden.
- Serve warm with mandarin crepes and hoisin sauce.