This egg curry is a regular must make dish when I prepare appams, as this combination is awesome. Appams, made commonly in the South, are like dosas, just that they fluff-up in the centre and are thin at the edges. Though, usually appams are relished with coconut milk and sugar, we prefer the egg molee, as this curry when accompanied with appam enhances its taste. The spicy egg in coconut milk gravy, is a popular dish among those along the Konkan coast and the Anglo-Indians. ‘Egg molee’, and also my other post on ‘Noronhoa’s egg curry‘, can be served with steamed white rice, dosas, idlis, parottas or naans. It always tastes better the next day, so make a good quantity and savour the molee on the next day too!
For the gravy:
- 3 onions finely sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- A few curry leaves
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup milk
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chillies slit
- ½ tsp pepper powder (optional)
For the eggs:
- 6 eggs boiled and shelled-
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- Cut each egg into half (lengthwise).
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan and shallow fry the eggs with red chilli powder, salt and garam masala. Ensure that it coats the eggs well on both sides. Once fried well, keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a thick bottom pan and sauté the onion till pink.
- Add the curry leaves, green chillies and fry.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste stir and fry till golden brown.
- Then add the spice powders and roast it till the aroma emanates.
- Add salt, while stirring add the milk. Bring it to a boil and then slowly add the coconut milk, and continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Now drop the eggs gently into the gravy (the yolk side facing up), cover with a lid and put off the flame.
- If preferred garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice, papad, pickle and subzi.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Adjust the spice in the curry as per your requirement.
- Use small onions if available.
- Can use tomatoes too. As tomatoes help increase the quantity of the gravy and more over some people prefer this gravy with tomatoes in it.
- Increase the quantity of milk for gravy, according to number of servings.
- Take care not to use excess salt while coating the eggs with masala as the gravy has salt in it.