I just love the title of this dish. The musical note associated with a food item gives you the pleasure and crave, to enjoy the dish set on your platter. These chicken drums of heaven have a crunchy and crispy feeling as you bite into the soft chicken pieces. Here in this recipe I have not deep fried the chicken; the shallow fry method did not in any way make those drums of heaven seem less inviting!
- Chicken (thigh/wings – 12 pieces)
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Black pepper corns (crushed) – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Dark soya sauce – 1 tbsp
- Yoghurt(whipped curd) – 1 tbsp
- Corn flour – ½ tbsp(optional)
- Orange-Red food colouring – ¼ tsp
- Red chilli sauce – ¼ tsp(optional)
- Salt to taste
For the batter (optional)
- Egg – 1
- Corn flour – 1 tbsp
- Salt, Pepper and orange/red colouring – ¼ tsp each
- Marinate the chicken pieces with soya sauce, ginger garlic paste, chilli sauce, red chilli powder, yoghurt, corn flour, pepper, salt and food colouring for about 3-4 hours. If left for a longer marinating time the taste will be better. Store in refrigerator (optional).
- For shallow frying – heat oil in a pan and put in chicken pieces and fry on low flame till all sides are well cooked and browned. Ensure not to burn sides, hence keep turning the pieces while frying.
- If deep frying, mix all the ingredients of the batter in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a wok/kadhai. Dip the chicken wings in the batter and fry in medium hot oil till golden and crisp.
- Serve hot Drums of Heaven(wrap the ends with foil) with chilli sauce/white tartar sauce.
Preparation Time: (including marinating) 5-6 hours