Dotted around the internet, you’ll find a million recipes that tell you about chicken roast. But what we are going to tell you is what is tried and tested and best, forms a part of the French cuisine!
Chicken is a lean white meat that has a distinct taste of its own, reason why its mandatory for one to buy organic chicken as it will dominate the preparation. However, fresh live chicken, farm fed ones are equally good. Try not to buy frozen chicken or if you do thaw it atleast for 2 hours.
Here, we will recreate a French style chicken roast that requires minimum ingredients and ensure maximum taste; a juicy, succulent roasted chicken that’s so very yum! What more, it gives you a lot of room for experimenting.
Classic Chicken Roast Recipe: Tried and Tested
- Roasting chicken: 1 whole
- Onion: 2, medium
- Garlic: 4 cloves, medium (peeled or unpeeled)
- Butter: 5 tbsp (salted)
- Vegetable oil: As required
- Salt: ½ tbsp
- A bunch of herbs: Rosemary, Thyme, Sage, Oregano
- 1 big lemon
** You can throw in any vegetables of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Pat the chicken dry and rub 2tbsp of butter, a pinch of salt inside the chicken and 1 tbsp of butter and a pinch of salt on the out.
- In a roasting pan, pour very little oil, place the lemon in the cavity end of the chicken and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Take the pan out, add the vegetables and herbs drizzle with oil and cook for another 10.
- Note: Keep pouring the oil every 15 minutes, flipping the chicken occasionally to ensure all sides are done.
- Cook it for 20-25 minutes in 350 and you’re done.
- Serve with roasted potatoes and green beans.
**You can also stuff the chicken. Here’s the recipe for the same.
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- Chicken liver: 250 grams
- 1” Ginger, minced
- 1 Green chili, minced
- Dunk everything in a mixer and blend well.
- Stuff chicken after roasting it for 15 minutes and follow the same procedure.