When was the last time, you opened your fridge and nearly fainted because of the stinky smell? And you blamed yourself for your double-door, giant electronic’s plight! Well, this is not entirely your fault. The fridge easily falls prey to the ‘out of sight, out of mind’ syndrome! Standing tall and still in one cosy corner of your kitchen, often is the reason behind it being neglected. Now do not start feeling sorry for your refrigerator’s bad condition and sit all baffled, because it is high time you do something about the stink! Do not know how to go about? No problems, just read on……
Any odour is a turn off, be it your body or the fridge! The former is something you should definitely be working on, while the latter is just as important and should not be ignored! Here are seven simple steps, which, if followed would free your refrigerator from all the bacteria, mold and mildew that have made your giant beauty their breeding ground!
- Remove all food items from your refrigerator. Have a good look and discard any food item which is spoiled or has expired.
- After sorting out the items and zeroing on ones you wish to keep, place them in a cooler, till you finish cleaning. For better preservation, add ice to it.
- The next step would be cleaning all the drawers and shelves of the fridge with soapy water. The floor and walls of your refrigerator need thorough cleaning. So wash them well with soap, detergent and water.
- Sometimes the odour is so strong that it persists even after cleaning rigorously. In such a case, using ground coffee is a must. Here’s how…
- Dump at least 2 cups of freshly ground coffee on a big plate and spread coffee evenly on the plate. Multiple plates should be used if the smell is terrible.
- The plate should be placed on the centre shelf. So do that and close your fridge for the next 24 hours.
- After that dispose the ground coffee. This would help in getting rid of that stinky smell.
- If you do not have coffee grounds at home, you could settle with baking soda instead.
- Pour the baking soda in a plastic container.
- Place it, uncovered, in the fridge.
- After 3 days, remove it and there will be no foul smell.
- Other alternative methods would be using cat litter or imitation vanilla.
- Once the stench is cleared, put all the food items back into the fridge.
Following this simple seven step procedure that will be very instrumental in keeping your fridge completely odour free!