The sambar is tastier when made with the home made sambar powder.It adds an unique aroma and taste to the dish. I prepare the home made powder in large quantity as sambar is made quite often. The sambar that I make (purposely) in large quantity, lasts for atleast 2 days as the taste of the sambar had on the next day is always better than that of the first day. The taste matures and all the subtle flavours come to the fore and call for your attention.
Ingredients to make home made Sambar powder:
- Dhania/Coriander seeds – 6 table spoons
- Urad dal(split black gram)- 1 table spoon
- Toor dal(Split pigeon peas)- 1table spoon
- Chana dhal(Bengal gram)- 1/2 table spoons
- Methi/Fenugreek seeds- 1 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds(Black)- 1 tea spoon
- Whole Red dry chillies- 10
- Curry leaves (dry)- 8 to 10
- Dry roast lightly all the ingredients except curry leaves.
- When ready, add curry leaves and roast for another half minute or so.
- Now mix all ingredients and grind it. Leave it a little coarse.
Your sambar powder is ready.
Some add Hing (asafoetida) to this powder. I try to avoid it since the flavour of Hing/Asafoetida goes away if stored. It is better to add the asafoetida, in heated oil, just before you start frying vegetables for sambar or before adding tamarind water.