Bid farewell to those home peeves with these smart kitchen tips. Sharing with you this week are a few interesting ideas and tips that I have experimented in my own kitchen. Hope these tips would solve some of your day to day kitchen queries. You’re welcome to experiment and share your ideas with us…
- A non-stick pan should never be scrapped with steel –wool or any abrasive material. To clean it, add 1 teaspoon vinegar half a cup of water along with a few onion peels. Bring it to a boil, cover, put off the flame and set aside for 10 minutes. Wash the pan first with this liquid then with a mild detergent and sponge. Wipe clean and dry.
- Banana leaves will remain fresh for a week if rolled up and wrapped in a muslin cloth and placed in a polythene bag before refrigerating.
- To prevent discolouration of fruits and vegetables like brinjals, bananas, lady fingers, mangoes, guavas, apples, use a steel knife to cut them.
- Accidental excess of salt in a dish can be neutralised by adding one teaspoon of brown sugar.
- Before placing the ice cream mix for setting, it is best to defrost the refrigerator and turn the setting to maximum for half an hour. In case the refrigerator is not frost–free, wipe off the defrosted moisture before placing the freezer trays.
- The best way to ensure that the green vegetables are germ-free; is to wash them with water to which a few drops of vinegar is added.