Here are a few handy hints, to help in daily cooking. Sometimes we neglect a few healthy ways of doing things the right way. Hope the few hints that I provide will help you.
- Before boiling milk, rinse the vessel with some boiling water. This will prevent the milk, from sticking to the bottom of the vessel (OR) —–Boil water in the milk pan before boiling the milk. This will kill all germs and sterilize the vessel too!
- Add a pinch of salt to the water when boiling eggs; this will prevent the shells from cracking.
- Never boil refrigerated eggs immediately, allow it to come to room temperature.
- While boiling Dals/Lentils avoid adding salt to hasten cooking.
- While boiling potatoes, do not cut/slice them as the nutrients will be lost in the water.
- Green and leafy vegetables must be started in boiling salted water and bring to boil as soon as possible. Until the boiling point is reached cover the vessel with a lid but then while cooking remove lid to prevent the loss of colour from the vegetable.
- Whereas, while preparing dry recipes with leafy vegetables addition of water is not required to cook it, the water content in the vegetable is enough.
- Root vegetables should be started in cold water so as to leach out acrid flavours that the raw vegetables contain. While cooking it can be covered with a lid. When the vegetables reach a boil, add salt to it.