This is a quick fix Semiya Payasam/ Kheer and you can make this in less than 15 minutes. I make this often when guests/friends drop in at a short notice, although it tastes better when chilled and served. You can vary the richness by adding more/less ghee & dry fruits. It’s one of those dishes which although is common, you never tire of eating it. As always I’ve not added sugar since I’m using Sweetened Condensed milk which lends it a rich sweet texture and taste.
Semiya Kheer: A Vermicelli & Milk Sweet Dish
Time taken: 20 min
- Vermicelli/Semiya: 50 g
- Sweetened condensed milk: 75 g
- Milk: 500 ml
- Cardamom pod (crushed): 1
- Cashew nuts (chopped): 2 tbsp
- Raisins: 1 tbsp
- Ghee: 1 tbsp
- In a pan, pour some ghee and roast the vermicelli till it is slightly brown. Then add cashewnuts and stir again till it becomes brown.
- Add milk and sweetened milk and bring it to a boil stirring all the while.
- Add the powdered cardamom and raisins and take it off the heat.
- Serve warm or chilled.