“I scream, u scream…we all scream for ice-cream!” this used to be our childhood one liner when we passed by our all-time favourite Ice-cream shop ‘Richie-Rich’ (Pondicherry). With mouth-watering mangoes over flowing in the fruit basket, I just couldn’t resist that temptation to make some ice-cream. The home grown vanilla pod gives that extra flavour to my home-made mango ice-cream. So cool your heels and slurrp-up this yummy mango ice-cream!
Homemade Mango Ice Cream
- 2 tall glasses of milk
- 1 pod vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 mangoes (de-skinned, de-seeded and remove pulp)
- 18 tsp of sugar
- In a thick bottom pan slit a vanilla pod, scrape the seeds and put the pod also into it.
- Pour the milk into it and heat it on a slow flame for 5 minutes.
- Let the vanilla flavour seep into the milk and you will notice that the colour of the milk changes.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl.
- Cool the milk and add the above whisked egg-sugar to it. Stirring gently.
- Place pan back on low heat and stir continuously till the milk starts to lightly stick to the spoon.
- Add mango pulp while continuing to stir gently.
- Mix well and allow it to cool.
- Pour into any bowl of required shape ( I used a rectangular container) and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the contents and whip in a mixer/blender.
- Again refrigerate till it sets.
- Serve on an ice-cream cone or in an ice-cream bowl.
Cooking Time: 20-25 minutes
Standing Time: Till the ice-cream sets
- Set your refrigerator on maximum cooling effect atleast half-an-hour before the ice-cream has to be refrigerated.