The ‘Farm house fruit cake’ is a light moist cake packed with delicious vine fruits, glazed mixed fruit or dry fruits. It’s a real traditional moist fruit cake which ages well, the cake is usually allowed to mature for three to four weeks. I learnt this recipe from a family friend (who is a Goan), this aunty is an expert at baking cakes and I have always wanted to try one of those delicious cakes ‘n bakes at home. The cake turned out to be a ‘lovely baked delight’ considering I attempted it for the first time!
- 2 ¼ cups refined flour(maida)
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ cup oil
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ mixed fruit/dry fruits – you can use dry fruits like cashew nuts and raisins/golden raisins(sultanas) or plums, glazed cherries, currants etc- chopped roughly . Here I have used ‘tutty-fruity’ available readily in the stores.
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 tbsp honey
- Grease a 20cm * 7.5 cm rectangular cake tin and lightly dust if with flour. Preheat a Convection oven to 180 degree C.
- Mix together the flour with the baking powder and cinnamon powder and sift into a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the oil, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, fennel seeds and mixed dry fruits.
- In a jug, mix together the milk, eggs and honey. Add this to the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Pour into prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven at 180 degree C for 45 minutes.
- Check if done by inserting a skewer or knife; it should come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for five minutes before turning out.
- Cut into slices and serve.
Preparation Time: One 20 minutes