What are we cooking today? Eggnog! Yup. You’ve heard us right!
What is Eggnog? Eggnog is a sweetened, dairy based beverage whipped up with milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, Bourbon, Brandy and nutmeg. This is a popular drink throughout the US and Canada, and is a symbolic drink for the winter festivities. Today, eggnog recipes is also used to flavor coffee and tea and also as a base for ice-cream.
The first we ever heard of eggnog was in a blog. The lady was teaching us how to make eggnog and how to use it as an ice cream base to be filled in home made cookies for Christmas.
Obviously, eggnog had all our curiosity and we wondered what exactly this Christmas-Special Drink is. After spending hours and days in pursuit of the perfect and easy Eggnog recipe, we found out that the Traditional Eggnog Recipe works best for us.
Time taken: 6.5 h
- Eggs, separated: 12
- Milk: 6 cups
- Heavy/thickened cream: 2 cups
- Bourbon: 2 cups
- Sugar: 1.5 cups
- Brandy: 3/4 cup
- Ground nutmeg: 2 tsp
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks & sugar for approx 10 min. When you see the mixture getting a color of butter, add in the alcohols, blending little at a time.
- Freeze for a minimum of 6 h. Depending on when your guests arrive, before an hour, stir milk in the chilled yolk mixture and stir in about 1 tsp of nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, beat cream till it forms soft peaks. Similarly, in another bowl, beat egg whites till these form stiff peaks.
- Fold the egg-white mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. Then at last, fold-in the cream.
- Ladle in cups and sprinkle nutmeg before serving.