How is this beautiful day treating you? For us, things have been quite good. Taking cue from the very happening “Happiness is…” series, we’ll go as far as to say, “Happiness is…” is getting a lot of likes on Facebook by simply doing good work and no promotional effort! Wouldn’t you agree now? Last couple of days, we have seen many people coming and joining us on our social page and it called for a celebration and a celebrated recipe! If you are reading this and are not on our Facebook page, dude, you are missing out on something.
Coming back, this cupcake recipe has been a party favorite for years now and we think this will go down as legacy. A recipe that first started in my mom’s kitchen, has come a long way from Darjeeling to Mumbai in order to please people when times don’t look right. Have a bite and you’ll be taken to a secluded beach in Hawaii – somewhere from a shack behind, the man in blue shirt plays guitar just for you and pretty women dance Hula while the sun shines bright. If this is escapism, we are lovin’ it!
Lime and Coconut Cupcake with White Rum
- All-purpose flour: 1 cup
- Butter: 80 g
- Eggs: 2
- Baking powder: 1 tsp
- Caster sugar for the cupcakes: 3/4 cup
- Vanilla extract: 1 tsp
- A pinch of salt (Dont use if using table butter)
- Dry, shredded coconut: 1/2 cup
- Lemon zest: 1 tsp
- Lemon juice (divided): 1 + 1 tsp
- White rum: 1 tsp
- Whipping cream: 250 ml
- Caster sugar for frosting: 4 tbsp
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Beat the sugar and the butter, until it becomes light and fluffy. Continue beating as you introduce the eggs into the mixture, one at a time. Add the vanilla.
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder and fold the dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Beat well.
- Fold-in the rest of the ingredients slowly into the batter. The coconut should be added at the end. Pour into cupcake moulds and bake at 180C for about 20 min, or until a cake pin inserted comes out clean.
- For the frosting, beat the whipping cream and the sugar until it holds soft peaks. Pipe the whipped cream and garnish with mint leaves.