One of the most popular concoctions in the cocktail world is the omnipresent Margarita. Glance over any bar menu and you’re bound to find this breezy cocktail at the top of the list.
This delicious drink combines Tequila with Triple sec and lime or lemon juice. You can play around with ingredients by substituting the lime or lemon juice with another juice of your liking. Popular choices include kiwi, strawberry and mango. You can also make it with a medley of fruit juices.
Some recipes include an additional sweeter like honey syrup or plain sugar. If you want to make your Margarita extra special, then add a premium citrus liqueur like Grand Marnier and Gran Gala.
A Margarita can be enjoyed on the rocks, shaken, straight-up or blended with ice (frozen margarita). Whichever method you select, ensure that your Margarita has that delightful salt on the rim of the glass.
The IBA (International Bartenders Association) standard calls for a 7:4:3 ratio when mixing this drink together. This works out to 50% Tequila, 29% Triple Sec and 21% fresh lime or lemon juice
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- Gold tequila: 1.5 months
- Triple Sec: 3/4 cup
- Fresh lime juice: 3/4 cup
- Sugar: 4 tbsp
- Crushed ice: 8 cups
- Kosher salt: 2 tbsp
- Lime wedges: 6
- Combine Tequila, Triple sec, lime juice and 2 tbsp sugar in a large pitcher and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add crushed ice.
- Mix salt and remaining 2 tbsp sugar in a shallow bowl.
- Moisten the rim of six Margarita glasses with lime wedge.
- Holding each glass upside down, dip the rim into sugar-salt mixture.
- Pour Margarita into glasses. Garnish with lime wedges.
A lovely, light Margarita and a bag of tortilla chips with salsa make the perfect casual dinner party treat. Enjoy!