Thakkali- poondu urukai- Tomato-Garlic pickle
The title ‘Thakkali-poondu urukai’ in Tamil (A South Indian language) means tomato and garlic soaked in preservatives. This pickle prepared in South Indian homes is relished with curd rice, rasam or sambhar rice. This spicy, tangy and aromatic pickle is worth the effort! One warning I would give you is “make this pickle in ample quantity and store”, as experience speaks I have had a shortage of it when in demand
- Ripe Red Tomatoes – 2,
- Garlic cloves – 5,
- Tamarind paste – 1 tsp,
- Red chilli powder – 3 tsp(as per taste),
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp,
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp,
- Asafoetida – 1 tsp,
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp,
- Gingerly oil – 5 tsp,
- Salt – as per taste.
- Grind the tomatoes with tamarind paste in to a fine paste without any lumps and keep aside.
- Roast the fenugreek and asafoetida with oil and crush in to fine powder.
- Heat 2 tsp oil in kadai, splutter the mustard, add the garlic and sauté for 2mins (don’t let it to brown), add the tomato paste, cover and let it boil in medium heat.
- When the consistency gets little thick, add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, fenugreek powder and salt and mix well. If needed add a tsp oil and again cover simmer and boil for 5mins.
- Now uncover, give a stir and adjust taste, boil till the oil separates on sides and pickle consistency is reached.
- Store in an airtight container and relish!