Raita is a very simple dish to make, and yet, it acts as a perfect accompaniment with various dishes from the ‘Indian cuisine’. It can be served with rotis, naan, parantha or rice. The delicious raita is one that could be complete in its own right, but sadly, not always given the same wondrous treatment we give to other foods we prepare for a meal. Infact, this side dish which is balanced in flavour, heat and texture has been forgotten in many Indian homes.
The raita recipe I share with you today is with onions and boondi. A simple crack–up recipe which complimented the tomato rice very well. If the ingredient boondi is not available you can still go ahead with just plain onions for the raita. Here I have given the recipe for the raitas individually. As per requirement ,the recipe for the raita can also be combined and made as onion and boondi raita.
Boondi Raita Recipe
- 2 Cups Curd
- 100 Gms Besan Flour
- Oil To Fry
- ½ Tsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- Salt to Taste
- Red Chilli Powder to Taste
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- Little milk(if required)
- Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- ¼ tsp Garam Masala(whole spice powder)
- ¼ tsp of chat masala(available at Indian stores) or a pinch of amchoor powder(dry mango powder)
- Mix water to gram flour well to spreading consistency.
- Add salt, chilli powder, turmeric, cumin powder and beat till becomes light.
- In a deep pan, heat oil and pass the paste through a draining spoon.
- Fry it till turns into a golden color.
(Ready made boondi packs are also available in stores)
- Beat the curd.
- Add boondi to curd and mix gently.
- If it is too thick, add little milk and mix it.
- Add salt.
- Sprinkle garam masala and chat masala/dry mango powder and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- If required , place in the refrigerator for a while, before serving.
Onion Raita Recipe
- ½ Kg Curd
- 3 Onions
- 1 Green Chilly
- A pinch of amchoor powder(dry mango powder) or ¼ tsp of Chat masala.
- Few Coriander Leaves
- Pepper and salt to Taste
- Beat curd/yoghurt well till thick consistency ,then add little water and mix well.
- Finely chop onions and chillies(remove seeds to avoid spice) into small pieces.
- Mix onion, green chillies, salt, pepper, chat masala(or a pinch of amchoor powder/dry mango powder) and coriander leaves with curd.
- Serve as it is or if required, Refrigerate for sometime before serving.