There are many variations to an Apple Pie, but most of you will agree that whatever is the variation, it tastes delicious! While baking Apple Pie Singlets, please note that the apple pieces in the Apple Pie are best if left a little crunchy, so ideally, do not use grated apples for this recipe. If you are not too sweet-toothed, little sour apples will work perfectly in your Apple Pie Singlets. The best Apple Pie Singlets are those which use a combination of two or three different kinds of apples, so that we get different texture and flavour contrasts in each bite. There are other Apple Pie lovers who choose only sweet apples for their pie filling, but in that case, a hint of lemon juice or zest will balance the sweetness.
Want some more variation for your Apple Pie Singlets? Why not make mini Apple Pies in mugs? Isn’t it a smart way to serve Apple Pie to your kids as well as your guests? And in this way, you are also exercising portion control! Here, however, we will make the traditional Apple Pie Singlets. Try it and let us know!
Apple Pie Singlets
Time taken: 1.45 h
Ingredients for the crust:
- All purpose flour: 1 cup
- Icing sugar: 1/3 cup
- Cold, unsalted butter (chopped into very small cubes): ½ cup
- Kosher salt (optional): 1/4 tsp
- Ice-cold water: just enough to bind the crust
Ingredients for the filling:
- A mixture of different kinds of apples (cored and cut into small pieces): 1 cup
- Cinnamon powder: 2 tsp
- Granulated sugar: ½ cup
- Salted butter: 1/3 cup
Ingredients for the lattice top:
- All purpose flour: ½ cup
- Icing sugar: 1/3 cup
- Cold, unsalted butter: ½ cup
- Ice cold water: 1/3 cup
- Egg white (whisked): 1
- Pre-heat your oven to 350C and place the baking tray in the centre of the oven.
- Mix the crust ingredients properly, using your hand or a ladle, until it resembles the texture of coarse sand. Add chilled water: enough to bind the ingredients into a smooth dough. Roll out into a disc. Press and line a pie/tart tin with this crust disc. Press and level to form a base and refrigerate for 1 h.
- Make the Apple Pie Singlets’ filling. In a saucepan, melt butter and sugar. Pour-in the apples. Cook for 2-3 min and cool. Add cinammon powder and mix well.
- Take out the tart base and fill in.
- For the lattice top, mix all the ingredients and roll out a nice dough. Roll it into a round and cut thin strips. Place it on top the pie/tart like a lattice. Brush the egg white on the top and sprinkle a little granulated sugar.
- Bake at 350F for 10 min. Reduce the heat to 300F and bake until the crust and the lattice top look golden and crisp. Serve hot with ice cream or serve cold, as it is!